DIY Satin Finish!


Ok, so last night I was doing a french mani because I felt like it; I haven't done one in awhile. Now I have places to go and things to do, so I was blowing on my nails in a futile attempt to get it to dry faster, and I looked down and my nails were not very shiny! How cool is that? So I used a different top coat on my other hand and it worked too!

Now on the hand pictured I used my Sally Hansen Hard as Nails Strengthening Top Coat. It is a thicker top coat. On the other hand I used my OPI Top Coat, and with this one it did not work as well as the Sally Hansen. I think that the key to this is the thickness of the top coat, so pile the top coat on!

Now what I did was blow warm air onto my nails while moving them back and forth, and it fogs up the top coat. The fog stays in the top coat when it dries; thus it imitates a satin finish. It is not matte in my as some light still reflects and it doesn't look chalky. So I am calling the finish satin. Now this doesn't last forever; it started to fade after a few hours. But, I found that blowing on the hand with the Sally Hansen refreshed it; such was not the case with the OPI.

Sooo....are you going to try this? If you do, please let me know how it goes! Tell me what top coat you used, and if it even worked for you. I would love to know! Oh, here is the picture with the mani glossy so that you can see the difference. I used OPI You Don't Know Jacques as the nail color and OPI Bogota Blackberry as the tip color.