How To Clean Nail Polish Out of Carpet


Opaqueness, short drying time, and being long lasting are much sought after qualities in nail polish; but these are not the qualities that you want in nail polish when you spill it all over your carpet.

I really didn't know what to do after I spilled dark blue glittery nail pollish all over beige carpet. I did a search on Google and the first rule is to keep it wet! As long as that nail polish is not dry, you can still get it out., and it gives you thinking time. Be sure to keep it wet even after you got the polish out; you always miss spots when you are panicking! You need to really soak the spots, especially the small ones as they dry faster. You can always blot the water out later.

I tried everything to get the nail polish out of the carpet; acetone, non-acetone nail polish remover, rubbing alcohol, hydrogen peroxide, oxyclean, and scrubbing. The only thing that worked was scrubbing. I scrubbed all of the stains with an old rag for well over two hours; but it all came out. It seems that different things work for different nail polishes, but the thing that will get it out for sure is scrubbing your heart out. It takes forever, but it is better than having that stain haunt you or replacing the carpet.

The picture is of my nails post cleaning. I was in the middle of doing my nails when the polish spilled and they were ruined, but needless to say I didn't redo them that night!