Rant: Where is the Creativity OPI!?!


The wonderful All Lacquered Up has posted recently about an upcoming OPI collection featuring “suede” textured polish. I assume that this is to cater to those who like the matte trend for fall but don’t wish to fully commit to chalky matte by adding shimmer to the mix. The OPI Suede Collection seemed intriguing, until I saw what colors were being released. ALU named the 6 colors to be released, and three of them were released with the very recent OPI Matte Collection. Seriously? How many versions of the same polish do we really need?!? The repromotes are Russian Navy, Lincoln Park After Dark, and You Don’t Know Jacques; their original versions are also in the permanent collection.

I can understand repromoting popular colors in different textures to help sell them, but they could have picked different colors for each collection. Nobody wants to buy three of the same nail polish in different textures unless they are obsessed with the color. In this economy these polishes are probably going to be skipped over more than purchased. I know that I won’t be purchasing any of the matte or suede collections, I will instead buy top coats that create the effect out of the polishes, it’s cheaper and easier that way. Sorry OPI, I love you, but I cannot justify these polishes.